Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Just Spaghetti

"Everything you see I owe to spaghetti"...Sophia Loren

I giggled when I read this quote by Sophia Loren because it read like it was not only her beauty secret but her secret in life as well. Speaking of Italian food, my big plan for tonight was to make my grandmother's marinara sauce after going to the gym. She went to the trouble to write it down for me, but then I forgot it after I saw her the other night. I could have just called, but in a haze of hunger after my workout I did not think of that solution. So I decided to put together a dinner with my absolute favorite tomato sauce - Rao's Marinara which was on sale at Acme this week. I love this sauce, but at almost $10 a pop it's on the pricier side.

This was simple and really quite tasty. If it wasn't for the unfortunate issue of pots and pans it would have been super quick too. This is a serving for one and could easily be increased to more.

Turkey Marinara Pasta
3/12 oz 99% lean ground turkey
1 clove or teaspoon of prepared garlic
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup pasta (or spaghetti as Loren preferred to call it)

Boil water for pasta (I chose brown rice pasta) and in the mean time heat olive oil in a frying pan. Add garlic, red pepper flakes and oregano. Place turkey in the pan and cook until done the remove from heat. Add pasta to the boiling water and cook until done. The brown rice pasta took about 10 minutes. Drain the pasta. Put the pasta, cooked turkey, and 1/4 to 1/2 cup marinara sauce back in the sauce pan and heat for a few  minutes. Serve with salt, pepper and Parmesan to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment