Friday, November 2, 2012

Just Brussel Sprouts

"I'm not an amazing cook. But I can follow a recipe!"...Rachel McAdams

I had mentioned in a previous post how awesome the Whole Foods flagship store is in Austin. It is like a Disney Land for an organic food lover or any food lover really. Everything is fresh and beautifully displayed, and this particular location offers a fantastic food court with a ton of delicious options. My boyfriend and I  love to go there and it usually becomes a rather long "date". We like to browse the selections and pick up specialty items there. You have to be selective at Whole Foods because as we all know it's rather expensive!

On our last excursion, we picked up lunch from the food court and I put together a kitchen sink of a salad with a little bit of everything. I should have taken a picture of it to share! My boyfriend selected Dijon Balsamic Brussel Sprouts as part of his meals, and we both thought they were great. I tried to re-create them tonight as I happened to really like brussel sprouts and they are very good for you. They improve thyroid production, help protect against certain kind of cancers, and lower cholesterol.

The picture below doesn't really do the dish much justice because this was much better tasting that it appears. Here is the recipe if you want to check it out. I combined it with grilled chicken in a bowl to make it a meal, but it's perfect as a side dish.

Dijon Balsamic Brussel Sprouts1 Bag of Brussel Sprouts (Rinsed and chopped in halves or quarters)
2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
3 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Coconut Milk (Make sure it is unsweetened milk)
2 Teaspoons Coconut Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the brussel sprouts in a bowl and toss with all of the ingredients. Put all of the vegetables on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and bake for 20-25 minutes. Turn them over about half way through the cooking process.

No comments:

Post a Comment