Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Just a Home Gym


"Well, I did join a gym last year. It cost a fortune and I didn't get any fitter. Apparently you actually have to go"....Carol, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

The current issue of "Health" features Julie Bowen who is quite adorable and down to earth. She's from "Modern Family". I recognized that she played Claire, but I didn't know her real name. But the article "The Under-$50 gym Home Gym" caught my eye and I was eager to read the suggestions simply because I like to be aware of what's available at any current Sports Authority, but it's also nice to have alternatives to going to the gym. I haven't had to travel too much for work as of late, but that can be a challenge. When you have an hour before you have to be at an event and you don't want to have to trek around searching out the hotel gym.

I really like the gym most of the time. It's great to have a place where you can zone out, and just focus on working out. I know many people argue that gym memberships can get to be quite costly so these suggestions are quite helpful.

They recommend resistance bands which I use for squats and a few other exercises. You can buy them for less than $10. Other recommendations include dumbbells, a stability ball, gliding disks and a jump rope. There was even a little shout out for foam rollers which are incredibly beneficial. They really help to relieve tension that has built up in your muscles. You can view the complete list here http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20634717,00.html

Other cost-conscious suggestions that I personally recommend include outdoor cardio like walking or jogging and yoga/stretching. I have a lot of DVD's that I enjoy which do not require any equipment other than a yoga mat. If you feel like you will be more effective working out at home or you cannot afford the monthly cost then I definitely suggest you check out these items. After all the best exercises are ones that you'll actually do.


No comments:

Post a Comment