Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Just Betheny Frankels Turkey Chili

"We love food"...Whole Foods

I got back tonight from Austin, TX where I was visiting my boyfriend for the weekend. Of course when I got home I was hungry from traveling all day, and most of the veggies and fruit I had in my fridge had gone bad. How does that happen to fast? So I decided to make a quick try to Whole Foods to stock up on some essentials.

I always wander so slowly through that store that I hardly think it was a "quick" trip of any kind. My Whole Foods in downtown Madison, New Jersey is nice, but the Whole Foods in downtown Austin is nothing short of mythical. My boyfriend describes it as an Epcot Center of food. It's the flagship store and it definitely showcases their motto "We love food." There is so much care put into the menu choices, displays, and everything is freshly made that day.


I needed to cook up a quick dinner and I decided to try Betheny Frankel's Turkey Chili. I am a big fan of Betheny's recipes and have both of her books. I also often look at her website for other suggestions http://www.bethenny.com/



The turkey chili was very easy to make and quite good. I tend to like my chili a little spicier so I topped mine with a little nonfat Greek yogurt as well as extra chili powder, cumin, and ground pepper. Very good! The below recipe made two servings and took only about 20 minutes to put together.

Bethenny Frankel Chili

Ingredients
1/2 medium onion, chopped (I used purple onion)
Nonstick cooking spray
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced (I always buy minced garlic - it makes life a lot easier!)
1/4 each red and yellow bell pepper (or half a bell pepper of any color), chopped
1 small can of pureed tomatoes or tomato sauce (about 8 ounces)
1/2 cup zucchini, chopped
1/4 pound ground turkey breast (Always buy check the fat or there is no benefit to choosing turkey over beef)
1/4 cup canned red pinto beans, drained and rinsed

Cooking Directions
Over medium-high heat, saute the onion in a nonstick skillet coated in cooking spray until soft. Add the chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
Stir in the garlic and bell peppers, and cook until the peppers are soft and the garlic is golden but not burned.
Stir in the tomato sauce and the zucchini.
When all the vegetables are soft, add the turkey breast and beans.
Let the chili simmer for at least 10 or 15 minutes. The longer you simmer, the better the flavor. Serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment