Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Just I Like "Green" Omelet

"I do not like green eggs and ham I do not like them sam I am"...Dr. Seuss



I can't really blame him...I think there is something a little unnatural about an egg with color. In fact, even though I love and partake in the tradition of dying Easter eggs every year I can never bring myself to actually eat one! This is probably a terrible waste of food.

Anyway, as I have grown older and evolved into a very healthy eater I really like to make my eggs or typically an omelet "green" by adding lots of veggies to it. The below is one of my favorite omelet recipes. It's packed with vegetables and protein. Honestly, one of the best weight loss tips I have come across in a while is from Dr. John Berardi of Precision Nutrition. One expert piece of advice he offers in part of his lean eating coaching program is to swap your grains for greens. Pretty simple, right? Instead of having a bagel or muffin add in veggies instead to have a more filling meal. Learn more from Berardi at www.precisionnutrition.com.

I enjoyed my omelet last Sunday with some berries for brunch, but you could easily have it for any meal. I often eat like something like this if I am home for lunch. I am currently visiting my boyfriend in Austin, but he chooses to eat later in the day. So this serving is for one. :-)

I like "Green" Omelet

Ingredients3 Egg Whites
1 Tablespoon Chopped Red Onion
3 Tablespoons Chopped Zucchini
2 Cups Baby Spinach
2 Tablespoons Low Fat or Fat Free Feta Cheese
2 Tablespoons Non Fat Plain Greek Yogurt (for topping)
1 Tablespoon Chives
Salt & Pepper to taste

Instructions
Spray a frying pan with non stick cooking spray and heat over medium heat on the stove. Chop the red onion and zucchini and place in a frying pan on the stove over medium heat. Saute for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add the spinach and cook until the spinach is wilted. Remove the veggies from the pan and place on a plate.

In the mean time, separate the egg whites from the egg and whisk in a small bowl. Cook until the eggs are solid, but not overly brown. Place the veggie mixture and feta cheese on top of the omelet and fold it over in the pan. Let the omelet sit for a few minutes and then remove from heat. Top with the Greek yogurt, chives, salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment