Thursday, October 11, 2012

Just Pizza


"What the hell do you think Leona really puts in that pizza?"... Jojo, Mystic Pizza

Aah pizza. I love pizza, I really do. Although I do not think anyone loves pizza as much as my mother. I live next door to a very good pizza shop that has been around for years, and I think it's quite convenient that she visits me a lot more than she did when I lived in my old apartment. I secretly believe she is coming by so she can grab a slice.

Before I started working out and learning more about nutrition I had pizza at least a few times a week. It could be for lunch or dinner pretty much any day of the week. I still enjoy it occasionally, but we all have to admit it's not the best choice in terms of nutrition. To spell it out there excess oil and full fat cheese, and it's all sitting on a lot of white bread which contains tons of carbohydrates and no fiber. Popular protein choices are usually pepperoni or meatballs. Hmm...can't say either one has ever been on a super food list of any kind.

I often make my own pizza when I crave it. I am getting to enjoy what I like, but also do not feel guilty having it. In fact, when you are in control and choosing the ingredients you can be totally satisfied, without feeling any guilt.

Below is a sample pizza recipe but you can honestly use any vegetable combination you like or happen to have in the fridge. I have experimented with different types of pizza crust and I really like using Flat Out Flatbread http://www.flatoutbread.com/

I sometimes like to add black olives or artichoke hearts. Grilled chicken or chicken sausage are my usual choices for protein, but you can also focus on vegetables and make it vegetarian. Once you put the pizza together, it only takes about 15-20 minutes to cook in the oven. I set mine to 400 degrees, but you may have to vary it depending on how hot your oven gets.

Grilled Chicken Mushroom & Pepper Pizza
1 Flat Out Bread (if I'm feeling fancy, I will dust the crust with a little olive oil for flavor)
1/2 Cup Pizza Sauce (look for a variety low in sugar)
3 Ounces Grilled Chicken
1 Cup Combination of Red Peppers, Yellow Peppers and Mushrooms
1/2 Cup Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
Pinch of Oregano, Basil plus Salt and Pepper to taste


No comments:

Post a Comment