Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Just Simple Tuna Fish Salad


"How many people in this world would like lettuce and tomato, without something else, like tuna?"...Mom, Sleepless in Seattle

Tuna fish is a truly nutrient-dense food. It's an excellent source of protein as well as a variety of other nutrients, most importantly omega-3 essential fatty acids. This is a super food that you can enjoy a few times a week. I experimented the other week with eating it cooked, but most often I make a simple tuna fish salad that I would have on a wrap, salad or a collard green wrap.

I am trying to be better about making my lunches at night for work the next day. I always bring my lunch to work since it's healthier and saves money. Here's an interesting fact that I read in this month's Fitness magazine:

Brown Bag Benefit: Want to lose weight? Get packing - your lunch, that is. Women who went out for lunch once a week or more lost an average of five fewer pounds over the course a a year than those who ate out less frequently.

I am trying to be better about packing my lunches at night. It's tough because you've dealt with dinner and cleaned up, and then already have to think about another meal? But it's much better than being rushed in the morning. I am guilty of often leaving my kitchen on the messy side, and regret it when I come up at the end of the day. So I decided to put together some tuna after dinner tonight. Since I was away for the weekend I did not really get to do my usual food prep for the week on Sunday.

Simple Tuna Fish Salad
5 oz can of Tuna (always get tuna packed in water and look for wild caught/dolphin safe)
2 TBS Light Mayonnaise or Vegan Substitute (if you prefer)
1 TBS Mustard
1 TBS Coconut Milk (Unsweetened of course)
1 Celery Stalk, finely chopped
2-3 TBS Purple Onion, finely chopped

Mix all together and enjoy. Add salt and pepper to taste. Makes 2 servings.





No comments:

Post a Comment