Friday, September 28, 2012

Just Protein Pancakes


"I feel like I've never done this before"...Annie, Overboard

I was on Facebook one day last winter when one of the pages I follow shared a page for Protein Pancakes. Alas, as someone who typically tries to eat a healthy diet pancakes were not something I had regularly. So I was excited about the idea of pancakes that were in fact good for me to eat, and not the starchy substance that all health magazines and sites encourage you to avoid. This was new territory!

So of course I picked up the few ingredients I needed to make these magical pancakes, and whipped them for breakfast the next morning. This is actually how I discovered Tone It Up! -  http://www.toneitup.com/ which is a great online company that offers a lot of excellent information and tips as well as workouts and a nutritional plan.

This recipe has as much protein as an omelette and keeps you full all morning. I like a good omelette,  but I seriously can't eat eggs every morning. You can really vary the ingredients to suit your style. Or make easy substitutions depending on what you have on hand. For example, you could use some apple sauce if you do not have a banana on hand or vary the fruit. I have these a few mornings a week so I like to get creative! You could also have them as a snack. Here is the original recipe below:

Ingredients:
1/4 cup egg whites
1 scoop vanilla protein powder (organic brown rice protein or whey)- visit your local nutrition store or wholefoods!
2 tbs vanilla almond milk or skim
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbs ground flaxseed
After above ingredients are mixed together add 1/2 banana (mashed)- mash first, then add!!
Add a handful of fresh or frozen blueberries

Pour into a pan that has been sprayed with olive oil cooking spray ~ heat on medium. Cook one side until you see the little bubbles.. just like cooking any pancake! Flip over (careful!) and cook on the other size until the middle is done (peek inside with a fork). Top with two sliced strawberries and optional powdered stevia. ENJOY your protein pancakes :)


No comments:

Post a Comment