Monday, September 17, 2012

Just Curried Pumpkin Soup


“The day there is a meteorite heading toward the earth and we have 30 days to live I am going to spend it eating butter. Here’s my final word on the subject…you can never have too much butter.” Julie, Julie & Julia

Well, I cannot really imagine being this in love with butter since we all know how bad it is for you! However, I can relate to getting excited and feeling comforted by the idea of certain foods. Soup is always a particular favorite of mine, and I have even been known to eat it over the summer…in the air conditioning of course. I also am a big fan of anything pumpkin flavored.  I am already planning to try some pumpkin pancakes for breakfast this week! I love this soup as it’s an old favorite, and I’ve modified it over the years to make it even healthier. As the weather started to turn a little crisp this past weekend, it seemed just like the right thing to make. I also wanted to participate in Tone It Up’s Fall Recipe Swap so I am sharing the recipe on their community site as well.

Curried Pumpkin Soup

Ingredients
1 head of broccoli
1/2 pound of mushrooms
1-2 shallots (depending on size)
2 tablespoons butter substitute (I like Smart Balance but any brand will work)
1 can of pureed pumpkin
1 can of coconut milk (I used Taste of Thai)
4 cups of vegetable or chicken broth (I used Pacific Organic Vegetable Broth)
2 tablespoons coconut flour
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
Preparation
Cook the shallots and mushrooms in a saucepan in the butter substitute until soft. Add the pumpkin, coconut milk, broth and coconut flour.
In the meantime, steam the broccoli for a few minutes before adding to the soup mixture. Add broccoli to soup and add curry powder, salt and pepper.
Cover and simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes. Serve topped with nonfat plain Greek yogurt and chives.


No comments:

Post a Comment