Monday, September 3, 2012

Just Yours

“I wear it, I’ve always worn it”…Katherine, The English Patient

In one of my all time favorite movies, The English Patient, Katherine utters this phrase to Count DeAlmasy as he carries her through the desert. He remarks on the thimble around her neck since he has never noticed it before. He bought it for her at a street vendor at the height of their clandestine affair. He hadn’t even intended it to be a necklace. Oh...the chills this scene brings to me.

Is there something you always wear? Jewelry has the power to capture a memory or remind us of our beliefs. Perhaps it is a cross to signify your faith or a heart your husband gave you for a special occasion. Maybe you wear the names of your children around your neck to bring them closer to you throughout the day. Since starting this blog, I am currently on the hunt for an infinity like my logo. There is a ring (not an engagement ring!) that my boyfriend gave to me last Christmas that’s very special to me and I wear it often. It reminds me of him and connects me in a way that I really cannot explain. Hmm…perhaps this is how Katherine felt about the thimble.

From the beginning of time we have had a fascination with adornment. Even the most primitive of civilizations had jewelry fashioned from different materials, some of it so intricate in design that it is always fascinating to view the museum collections. Many of these pieces were worn for protection or luck, a talisman. Do you find you always have a good day when you wear a certain piece of jewelry? You are not alone. We are always searching for our lucky charm.  Many believe it is certain stones or a symbol that embodies the wearer with luck or safety or perhaps a certain necklace or bracelet or ring that was given for luck. Energy Muse http://www.energymuse.com/ is totally devoted to jewelry to bring you health, luck, energy, prosperity……and so on. Saint by Sarah Jane http://www.saintbysarahjane.com/  has an exquisite line of designer jewelry inspired by nature.



I recently purchased a mala from a fabulous website called Tiny Devotions http://www.lovetinydevotions.com/ What does a mala mean? Well you choose it or let it choose you by simply feeling the energy that connects to you. It’s a visual display and reminder of your intentions. It’s very powerful to hold your intensions close to you and remind yourself to stay the course and work towards your goals.




No comments:

Post a Comment