Thursday, September 6, 2012

Just Greek To Me


“Nice Greek girls are supposed to do three things in life: marry Greek boys, make Greek babies, and feed everyone…until they day we die." Toula, My Big Fat Greek Wedding

It’s no secret that Greek Yogurt has upset the dairy industry. When is the last time you saw someone eat a regular yogurt? It just doesn’t happen anymore. I love Greek yogurt as it is a more perfect version of yogurt in my mind. It is so much more creamy and delicious. I used to always find regular yogurt a little too runny if you over-mixed it, and of course you had to if you it had fruit on the bottom. Everyone from magazines to advertising is telling us that Greek yogurt is so much better for us and provides a lot more protein. This is true, however, it also provides a lot of sugar which our bodies don’t really need. The sugar also drives up the calories and carbohydrates and what was once a healthy snack is getting a little closer to dessert territory. Lately I have been experimenting with ways to turn plain Greek yogurt into a more appealing snack because without a little something it almost tastes like eating a tub of sour cream. The nice thing about it being plain is that it’s a blank canvas you can change. Here are some new combinations I really like that are worth checking out:

Apple and Cinnamon – This is my personal favorite Chobani flavor that I have closely replicated. Finely chop a half of an apple without skin and add cinnamon and Stevia to taste – it’s really good! For anyone who has not tried Stevia check out Stevia in the Raw. It’s natural and has no calories! I got my mother to give up sugar in her coffee when she tried it. And she was up to 4 teaspoons a cup - at least that’s what she confessed to.



Lemon or Lime – Use the juice of a lemon or lime and re-create either of those flavors and add some stevia to taste. It’s very close to the real thing! Haven’t you wondered why Key Lime Flavor yogurt is just too good?

Honey or Maple Syrup – Honestly a little goes a long way and even though it’s still sugar, it’s a better alternative. I usually only need a teaspoon or so to add enough sweetness.

Nuts or Nut Butter – I actually love adding almond or sunflower butter to plain yogurt. It adds a delicious flavor and changes the consistency so that’s it’s thicker. If that’s not your thing, then some chopped almonds or walnuts are good for crunch.

Flavored Whey Protein Powder – I am working on perfecting this one, but my boyfriend swears by it. It makes me very full so it’s almost more like a meal than a snack.

Fruit – Berries, mango, kiwi, you name it. They all are great with plain yogurt. Here’s a good place to try different combinations and get creative.

Flavored Extracts – It recently dawned on me that I could use vanilla extract to replicate a vanilla flavored yogurt and it was quite tasty. I’m going to try almond extract next and see what I can whip up.

Whole Grain Cereal – I like to add Barbara’s Puffins http://www.barbarasbakery.com/or BearNaked Fit Granola http://www.bearnaked.com/ in place of nuts sometimes. If I’m running late for work or not hungry in the morning I will mix up greek yogurt, cereal and fruit to eat later in the morning. 


No comments:

Post a Comment