Thursday, September 13, 2012

Just Squash & Zucchini


“I’m on this new diet, I don’t eat anything and when I feel like I am going to faint I have a cube of cheese.” Emily, The Devil Wears Prada

Hmm…well, I could seriously never survive on a diet that only involved an occasional piece of cheese. However, like everyone else I feel like coming up with meals that are tasty, healthy and quick is a challenge. What’s for dinner is surely the universal question that plagues all of us. It can feel overwhelming coming home during the week and trying to come up with a recipe. You’re tired and even if you enjoy cooking it hardly feels like the time to bust out the pots and pans and get creative. A little planning has helped me to overcome this issue. I am big on lists and as soon as I run out of something I add it for the next time I am at the store. I do my food planning on the weekends which usually involves my food shopping for the week prepping some items so they can just be reheated for dinners. Sometimes it’s as simple as making quinoa and grilled chicken ahead of time. If I make any recipes during the week I like to keep it super simple.

I came across this recipe for roasted vegetables on one of the blogs I follow http://www.eatingbirdfood.com/ Ironically the name of the post was Meals in Minutes…that’s what I like to hear! The blog writer, Brittany Mullins, suggested adding these veggies to a mix of quinoa and grilled shrimp which is exactly what I did. My oven is pretty hot so I took the veggies out after 20 minutes. It was light, easy and perfect for a week night.



Roasted Summer Squash and Zucchini
Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 pounds zucchini and yellow summer squash (about 3 pieces), chopped in to bite-size cubes about 1/2 inch big
  • 1/2 cup chopped red onion
  • 1 Tablespoon coconut oil, at a liquid state
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • sea salt and pepper to taste


Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Place zucchini, squash, onion and garlic in a large bowl, drizzle with coconut oil and stir until all the veggies are coated. Sprinkle on salt and pepper and stir.
3. Spread mixture out on a large rimmed baking sheet or baking stone and roast for 30 minutes, stirring once around the 15 minute mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment