Friday, September 7, 2012

Just Towel Sit Ups

“Luck is a myth”…Steve Prefontaine, Without Limits

Unfortunately, you have to work your abs to get good ones. I battle this like everyone else because my job is mostly inactive and I just don’t get in a lot of movement during the day. So I always make sure to include some excercises in my workouts about 3 times a week.
I like to try different things to have variety, and my boyfriend introduced me to towel sit ups that he had discovered through strength coach Nick Nilsson. The trick is that you take a towel (I usually use two hand towels together since I am the gym and this is all they have) and roll it up and place it under your low back below your waist. You want the towel to be fairly thick but comfortable.
By adding this simple addition you are performing the exercise differently and also protecting your low back by making sure it’s not rounding.  If you want to make it more challenging you can hold a weight at your chest too (5-8lbs).

My usual routine:
30 straight sit ups
15 rotating to the right
15 rotating to the left
30 straight sit ups

These only take minutes and I usually do them as part of my workout, but you could easily do them at home while watching TV or before getting ready for bed. 
Here is a link to Nilsson’s article where he takes you step by step through the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment